Abraham Lincoln~

The best thing about the future is that it only comes One Day at a Time~ Abraham Lincoln

Saturday, June 16, 2012

In The Shadow

You know how you know the meaning of a word but you can't write an actual definition for it? That's how it was for me today with the title. I know what a shadow is and my picture shows one but I have never honestly sat down and thought how to write exactly what a shadow is, until I googled it!
A shadow comes about when an object is blocking the sunlight. It becomes an opaque shape of whatever is blocking it.
Did you ever "dance" with your shadow when you were young? Or make shadow animals-those are fun and keep children's attention!
A shadow's length changes during during the day depending on where the sun is. When it is overcast or raining and the sun is absent, there is no shadows.
A shadow isn't a tangible item. You can't touch it. It moves where you move and is only changed when you change it. It got me to think about where shadows are talked about in the Bible. Ever do a word search or take some time and look into a topic? It is interesting and you can learn a lot.
Shadows are mentioned quite a few times.  One time is in the book of Job.
Job speaks about our lives and the time on earth and compares them to shadows. Our lives are here for a time and then it is over.
Job 8:9  
"For we are but of yesterday, and know nothing, because our days upon earth are a shadow"
The Psalmist also talks about a shadow, or the perils in life-the darkest valley, in the 23rd Psalm
Psalm 23:4 
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 
Shadows can be a good thing. They give shade and coolness from the sun. 
The word shadow is sometimes used when we speak about "standing in someone else's shadow". There are different perspectives of looking at this but in my case I want to take a positive spin on it.
You can be in the shadow of the Almighty. He will protect you. It is a place of comfort.
Psalm 91:1 
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty."
If I am in his shadow then I am close enough to know Christ and be able to follow Him. To stay in His shadow I have to remain close one day at a time. It requires being in the Bible and speaking with Him on a regular basis. So the next time you see a shadow or step out of the sun to stand in a shadow think of Christ and how we can remain in His shadow.







No comments:

Post a Comment