Abraham Lincoln~

The best thing about the future is that it only comes One Day at a Time~ Abraham Lincoln

Friday, November 9, 2012

Finding a Great Deal

Watch your pennies...use coupons...stick to a budget...clearance! I know for most of us these words have become very common in our weekly conversations and lifestyles. 
Today was my day off of work and I needed to find a new pair of jeans and a top. I decided to visit one of my favorite stores...Kohl's! I am a very decisive shopper-I don't waste a lot of time. I can peruse the racks and decide if I see anything that sparks my interest pretty quickly. Then I zone in on the size and off to the dressing room we go. If I'm lucky enough to find something that fits and doesn't make me look two sizes bigger we have a winner! Today I hit the jackpot! I found my favorite brand of jeans in my size and then I found a top that I liked. I decided to breeze through the clearance section and came across two caramel apple scented candles that were marked down from $19.99 to $3.99 each!
When I got to the register I placed my purchases and then got out all of my coupons. I had a $10 off of $30 that they sent me in the mail last week! Then they sent a postcard and when I peeled it off it showed I had an extra 30% off my entire purchase. And finally, I had $10 in Kohl's cash, but it had expired 2 months ago. They allowed all of them and my total came to $19.35-it showed I saved $82.20! In reality, if I would have had to pay full price it was like I paid for the shirt and got the pants and candles for free!
I love getting good deals. I try not to have to pay full price for many things. I don't want to forgo on quality though just for cheapness. There needs to be a balance. It can be fun though to see how you can save money. We use coupons for discounts or free food at restaurants. I have joined programs that give me loyalty points that I can turn into gift cards. We buy a weekly paper in order to get the coupon inserts to use towards our groceries. There are people out there that blog on a weekly and even daily basis to tell you the best place to buy certain items or websites to get free products.
As we live one day at a time, the majority of us don't have a money tree planted in the back yard so that we have unlimited funds. But even if we are in a comfortable place with our finances it doesn't mean that we should waste what God has entrusted to us.
1 Corinthians 4:2
" Moreover it is required in stewards that one be found faithful."
We are stewards. Everything that we have has been given to us by God. If He has entrusted a little or a lot to us, we need to take care of it to the best of our ability. We should be willing to tithe out of it first-giving back to the Lord what is already his in the first place, cheerfully. Then, use the resources He has given us for good. Further the gospel by supporting missions. Help those less fortunate in your church, your family, and your neighborhood. Teach your children that less is more. We live in a society where we just HAVE to have everything and have it new and as soon as it is released-not! We should be content with what we have and use what we have instead of wanting what we don't have.
Hebrews 13:5
"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
2 Corinthians 9:6-8 ESV 
"The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work."




No comments:

Post a Comment