Abraham Lincoln~

The best thing about the future is that it only comes One Day at a Time~ Abraham Lincoln

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Lick and a Promise

Here is another idiom in the English language that we use. I think it would be a humorous conversation between an American and one from another country where idioms were not frequently used. "So, we will give it a lick and a promise." "You will lick it and then promise what?" To us it is used when talking about doing a task. You will only give it a small amount of attention at that time and then come back to it later-make any sense? To us it does but to some it may be confusing. This phrase has nothing to do with postage stamps but that was my segue. I would take this phrase another way. I could see saying this when mailing off a letter-lick the stamp and the envelope and send it on its way-a promise to get the letter to the one I am sending it. My dad collected postage stamps and he passed that hobby down to me. I enjoyed getting first day covers and then getting stamps to complete a set in my book. 
"Stamp Collecting dispels boredom, enlarges our vision, broadens our knowledge, makes us better citizens and in innumerable ways, enriches our lives" - President Roosevelt
Even today, I always look at the stamp when I get mail.
"Consider the postage stamp, its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there" -  American humorist John Billings.
I love this statement made about the stamp. Are you like this? Do you have "stick-to-it-tiveness"? Or do you give up quite quickly?  As we live one day at a time we need to stick like glue to the truths that Christ left us in His Word-perseverance.
Romans 8:37-39
 "No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 12:12
 "Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer."
Colossians 1:11-12
 "May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light."
Galatians 6:9
 "And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up."
Ephesians 6:16-19 
 "In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel."




No comments:

Post a Comment