Abraham Lincoln~

The best thing about the future is that it only comes One Day at a Time~ Abraham Lincoln

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Antiques...Old as Dirt?!

Today I spent the majority of my day in a neighboring town having lunch at a Tea House and antiquing. It was a lot of fun. Some of the stores were a little less 'kept up' but there was a huge variety of items available. I questioned what were the qualifications to make something an antique and of course this required a little research on my part. Here is the definition that I liked the best-I took it from Wikipedia:
"An antique (Latin: antiquus; old) is an old collectable item. It is collected or desirable because of its age (see definition), beauty, rarity, condition, utility, personal emotional connection, and/or other unique features. It is an object that represents a previous era or time period in human society. It is common practice to define "antique", as applying to objects at least 100 years old. Collectibles are, generally speaking, the possible antiques of the future and generally less than 100 years old.
The only real law concerning the definition of the word antique comes from the US customs office, that considers antique as anything 100 years old."


Some of the items that we saw today would qualify as collectibles since I know they weren't 100 years old-my mom used some of the dishes when I was little (and they weren't passed down from her relatives), but there were many other items that would be considered an antique. Some of us talked about how the majority of this generation coming up don't have the same interest in the older things-they want everything new. Families are selling off their heirlooms because their children don't want them. I realize that trends change and styles come and go, but the classic always stays 'in style' and current. Some things are worth holding on to for the sentimental value as well as the amount of money it could bring if sold.
I believe that there are still those out there that believe that God and salvation are in that category-"too old fashioned" for me. People believe that God and sin and salvation aren't for them-He isn't up-to-date enough for them. You know what? They couldn't be farther from the truth. Christ never goes out of style and His gift of salvation is up-to-date for every generation. The colors-red-that stands for the blood He shed for us on the cross where He covered our sins, and white-what color we are washed when we accept His gift of salvation are classic colors that never go out of style. His gift matches every style and size and is appropriate for everyone-no matter their age, race, hair color, or political party. It has withstood the time and is still a classic for over 2,000 years.
John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."
Jesus Christ is still relevant-He loves us-everyone wants someone to love them-unconditionally. Run to His open arms-He takes you as you are! He loves you with an everlasting love.
Jeremiah 31:3
"The Lord has appeared of old to me, saying:
“Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love;
Therefore with loving kindness I have drawn you."
We may make mistakes but He will always forgive us:
Lamentations 3:22-24
"Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.
“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “Therefore I hope in Him!”
As I live one day at a time, I am thrilled to know that God loves me and if I accept His gift of salvation I will be His child forever-He never goes out of style and it never gets old!



No comments:

Post a Comment