Abraham Lincoln~

The best thing about the future is that it only comes One Day at a Time~ Abraham Lincoln

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Freedom is Not Free

Today is a day that our country has set aside as Veteran's Day. This day was originally known as Armistice Day, one that celebrated the living veterans from WWI. We have since broadened the day to celebrate all veterans from all branches of of our military branches and wars.
My maternal grandfather served in the Army during the Korean war. I now have his picture and the flag given to my grandmother at his burial. My paternal grandfather was a merchant marine during WWII. My father was an only child and did not have to serve in the armed forces, but I do have an uncle who was in the Army. I come from a family who has had members who proudly served our country during time of war. I now have many friends who proudly serve our country in all of the different branches and for that fact I am thankful beyond words. Our country has had to fight to maintain our borders and remain a free country over the years. All of those that have gone into the armed forces have had to give something and some of them have given the ultimate by losing their lives while serving our country. We must never forget what sacrifice has been made for us as a whole to remain free. Freedom is not free and it has cost us plenty. It has cost many families the ultimate where lives were lost. But there are many other losses as well-mentally and emotionally and physically. 
One of the freedoms that we are privileged to have is the freedom of religion and speech.
It was placed in our Constitution as the first Amendment:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
There are many countries that have not and still do not have the freedom to worship as they please. We as Christians have to continue to be thankful as we live one day at a time and we are able to read our Bible and pray in public and go to church without the fear of being arrested or even put to death for our beliefs.
 But, our freedoms are not guaranteed, and as we continue down the road we are traveling with our government we need to take each opportunity to share the gospel with all of those we come in contact with so that many souls can be saved. I do not believe that our lives will end here on earth. I believe that upon my death, my soul will leave my body, and since I have accepted Christ as my personal Savior, I will spend eternity with Him in heaven. That is the ultimate freedom.
But I know that this freedom was not free. It cost God His only Son. 
John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
John 8:31-32
" To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.  Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."
Romans 8:1-4
" There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit."
It's wonderful to live in a free country but it is much more wonderful to have the ultimate freedom of salvation and know that I have eternal security and a home in heaven. I need to be willing to share the gospel and know that to have spiritual freedom is worth more than physical freedom. I may have to put up with verbal abuse or even a little persecution, but it doesn't even compare to what my Christ went through while He was here on earth.
John 15:18-20
"If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours."
If you are reading this and have served or are currently serving in the Armed Forces to protect our country then my hat off to you and my personal thanks for your sacrifice. But if you are reading this and you have never experienced the ultimate freedom of eternal life then please contact me-I would love to share the plan of salvation with you so that you can know true Peace and freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment