Abraham Lincoln~

The best thing about the future is that it only comes One Day at a Time~ Abraham Lincoln

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Lamp Lighting Ceremony

Today we were thrilled to be able to be present for our daughters' Lamp lighting Ceremony'. 
She is a sophomore in college and is in the nursing program. This ceremony represents the beginning of her practical nursing. She is working toward a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. This ceremony was very nice. It wasn't long but it was full of symbolism. The lamps that they held and lit during the ceremony represented the history of Florence Nightingale. She was known for her nursing skills and was called 'the lady of the lamp'. Although the doctors swear by a Hippocratic oath there wasn't really anything for nurses so there is a nurses' pledge that they recited after lighting their lights.
"I solemnly pledge myself before God and in the presence of this assembly:
To pass my life in purity and to practice my profession faithfully;
I will abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous and will not take or knowingly administer any harmful drug;
I will do all in my power to maintain and elevate the standard of my profession, and will hold in confidence all personal matters committed to my keeping and all family affairs coming to my knowledge in the practice of my calling;
With loyalty will I endeavor to aid the physician in his work, and devote myself to the welfare of those committed to my care."
The college states that the lights symbolize more than just representing being a light in the medical field like Florence Nightingale but to also be a light to the world as a witness for Christ.
Even though I am not a nurse I could easily take this pledge and live my life one day at a time by these guidelines.
Matthew 5:14
"“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden."
God tells us to be a light. Our lamp lighting ceremony could be when we have accepted Christ as our Savior. He would then give us our light and we in turn would light the world around us. It doesn't come naturally. It takes work and practice and studying God's Word. Just like a nurse will have her practicals and put what she learns into practice, so too should we put all of the principles and guidelines that God has given us in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment