Abraham Lincoln~

The best thing about the future is that it only comes One Day at a Time~ Abraham Lincoln

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Ornamental Decorations

Most of us decorate a Christmas tree. When we decorate our tree we hang all of our ornaments that have been collected over the years. I looked up the definition of an ornament and it talks about how it is a decoration that is normally made of wood, glass, metal or ceramic and used to "festoon" a Christmas tree. Some people will buy a lot of one kind of ornament to have a themed tree. I love to hang a conglomeration of all the ornaments that we have either bought for special memories or given to us as gifts. We also have some ornaments that have been passed down to us from our parents and grandparents.
It's fun to remember who gave it to us and when while I am hanging them on the tree. And they are nice to look at each day when we turn the tree on. Most of the time ornaments don't have any special purpose other than just looking nice and holding special memories.
As I live one day at a time I sometimes wonder if we aren't guilty of living our Christian life as an ornament. We carry our Bibles only to church where everyone can see us and never open them during the rest of the week. We wear nice outfits on Sunday and clean up our language for that one day. But the rest of the week it's put into a box. Sometimes we follow 'tradition's only because it was what our parents and grandparents used to do but we don't believe that anymore.
As an ornament I want to be remembered for following Christ, loving Him with all my heart, sharing the gospel with those I come in contact with, and living my life the same 24/7. I want to be more than just something that gets brought out and enjoyed for a few weeks and then is stored away the rest of the year. I want to be someone that could be hung on a hook and enjoyed every day, no matter what I was doing. But I don't want to just be nice to look at but also be substantial. As an ornament I want to be something that compliments Christ though-not stand out and take away from His glory.
I Peter 3:3-4
"Do not let your adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel— 4 rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God."
Colossians 3:17
"And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."


No comments:

Post a Comment