Abraham Lincoln~

The best thing about the future is that it only comes One Day at a Time~ Abraham Lincoln

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Grass is Always Greener...


Cows always seem to stick their necks through the fence to get the grass on the opposite side from where they are at. Why? Is it always better? No. They are a lot like we humans. We sometimes want something that is either not ours or is unattainable at the time. Why? Discontentment.
I'm sure we have all heard this phrase..."the grass is always greener on the other side."
I am going to use a word that I never let my kids use...that is the stupidest saying I have ever heard!
The only way that that phrase is correct is if a Christian is saying it to an unbeliever-then, yes, by all means it is soooo true. The grass is greener on God's side than on the world. 
Psalm 23:2
"He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters."

But I'm sorry to say that is not how it is used today.
Why is it said? If one feels that they are just in such a bad situation and they look at someone or something else and think that, shame on that person. We are never to compare ourselves. It doesn't do anyone any good and you know what? You don't really know what is going on in that other person's life-it may seem like it is greener pastures but as one of my girlfriends posted tonight, "If the grass seems greener on the other side, it just might just be that they have a whole lot of crud under the surface to fertilize it." (I did substitute a less crude word.) :)  They may seem that way but in reality it almost never is. You can play the "well if I only had" game until the cows come home from the greener pastures but it won't make you any happier. A lot of it boils down to the fact that we need to learn to be content. Be content with what we have. Be content with where the Lord has us-He has a purpose and we must need to learn something. 
James 1:3
"Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience."
If we are Christians, we already are in the greener pastures. God has given it all to us. As we live one day at a time we can claim all of His promises and know that He is there for us.
Psalm 50:10
" For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills."

He owns the cattle on a thousand hills,
The wealth in every mine;
He owns the rivers and the rocks and rills,
The sun and stars that shine.
Wonderful riches, more than tongue can tell -
He is my Father so they're mine as well;
He owns the cattle on a thousand hills -
I know that He will care for me.
~ Words and music by John W. Peterson





No comments:

Post a Comment